– Infrastructure planning and location-allocation model
– Application of ICT in urban and regional planning
– Urban policy assessment
– Econometric and behavioral modeling
– Masters of City Planning, IIT Kharagpur May 2005 – April 2007
– PG Certificate in Environmental Leadership, Asian Program for Incubation of Environmental Leadership, The University of Tokyo, Japan
– Doctor of Philosophy, Department of Urban Engineering, The University of Tokyo, October 2010-September 2013.
• Subramanian, D., & Jana, A. (2018). Assessing urban recreational open spaces for the elderly: A case of three Indian cities. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening, Volume 35, pages 115-128, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ufug.2018.08.015
• Verma, D; Jana, A; Ramamritham, K. (2018). Quantifying Urban Surroundings Using Deep Learning Techniques: A New Proposal. Urban Science. Volume 2, no. 3: 78, https://doi.org/10.3390/urbansci2030078
• Varghese V. and Jana A. (2018). Interrelationships between ICT, social disadvantage, and activity participation behaviour: A case of Mumbai, India. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tra.2018.06.009
• Varghese V. and Jana A. (2018). Impact of ICT on multitasking during travel and the value of travel time savings: Empirical evidences from Mumbai, India. Travel
• Behaviour and Society, Volume 12, Pages 11-22, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tbs.2018.03.003 [Media coverage:
http://www.newindianexpress.com/thesundaystandard/2018/mar/25/travel-equals-downtime-for-most-commuters-says-indian-institute-of-technology-bombay-study- 1792001.html ]
• Bardhan, R., Debnath, R., Jana, A., Norford, Leslie K. (2018). Investigating the association of healthcare-seeking behavior with the freshness of indoor spaces in low-income tenement housing in Mumbai, Habitat International, Volume 71, 2018, Pages
156-168, ISSN 0197-3975, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.habitatint.2017.12.007
• Varghese V., Jana A., & Sarkar S. (2018). Analysing Disparities and their Impact on Time Use Behavior: Evidences from Mumbai, India. Journal of the Eastern Asia Society for Transportation Studies. Vol 12, 35-56. https://doi.org/10.11175/easts.12.35
• Jana, A., and Varghese, V. (2017). Analyzing mode choice for inter-regional travel in India. Transportation Research Procedia, Volume 25, 2017, Pages 5220-5234 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trpro.2018.02.049
• M., Jana, A., Bardhan, R., Varghese, V., & Fujiwara. A. (2017). A framework to analyze capability and travel in formal and informal urban settings: A case from Mumbai. Journal of Transport Geography, Volume 65, Pages 101–110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtrangeo.2017.09.001
• Basu, R., Jana, A., Bardhan, R., & Bandyopadhyay, S. (2017). Pinch Analysis as a Quantitative Decision Framework for Determining Gaps in Health Care Delivery Systems. Process Integration and Optimization for Sustainability.
• A., & Sarkar S. (2017). Disparate housing strategies and practices of public and private enterprises in India: Analysis of middle class housing and new towns; Cities. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cities.2017.09.010 [Media coverage:
• Basu, M., Ghosh, S., Jana, A., Bandyopadhyay, S., & Singh, R. (2017). Resource Mapping During a Natural Disaster: A Case Study on the 2015 Nepal Earthquake. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction.
• Jana, A., & Basu, R. (2017). Examining the changing health care seeking behaviour in the era of health sector reforms in India: evidences from the National Sample Surveys 2004 & 2014. Global Health Research and Policy, 2(1), 6.
• Basu, M., Ghosh, S., Jana, A., Bandyopadhyay, S., & Singh, R. (2017). Medica Requirements during a Natural Disaster: A Case Study on WhatsApp Chats among Medical Personnel during the 2015 Nepal Earthquake. Disaster Medicine and Public
Health Preparedness, 1-4. https://doi.org/10.1017/dmp.2017.8
• Basu, R., Aggarwal, R., & Jana, A. (2017). An Integrated Framework for Allocation of New Emergency Response Facilities in Developing Nations. Process Integration and Optimization for Sustainability, 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1007/s41660-017-0009-y
• Basu, R., Varghese, V., & Jana, A. (2017). Comparison of Traditional and Emerging Paratransit Services in Indian Metropolises with Dissimilar Service Delivery Structures. Asian Transport Studies, 4(3). http://doi.org/10.11175/eastsats.4.518
• Basu, R., Jana, A., and Bardhan, R. (2018). A health care facility allocation model for expanding cities in developing nations: Strategizing urban health policy implementation. Applied Spatial Analysis and Policy. Vol 11, Issue 1, pp 21-36.
• Jana, A., Bardhan, R., Sarkar, S., and Kumar, V. (2016). Framework to assess and locate affordable and accessible housing for developing nations: empirical evidences from Mumbai. Habitat International. doi: 10.1016/j.habitatint.2016.07.005.
• Chikaraishi, M., Jana, A., Bardhan, R., and Fujiwara, A. (2016). Time Use of Urban Poor and Rural Poor on Activity and Travel in Gujarat, India: Similarities and Differences. Asian Transport Studies. doi:10.11175/eastsats.4.19.
• Jana, A., and Harata, N. (2016). Provisioning health care infrastructure in communities: Empirical evidences from West Bengal, India. Socio-Economic Planning Sciences. doi: 10.1016/j.seps.2016.02.003.
• Chakraborty, A., Wilson, B., Saraf, S., and Jana, A. (2015). Open data for informal settlements: Toward a user’s guide for urban managers and planners. Journal of Urban Management. doi: 10.1016/j.jum.2015.12.001.
• Bardhan, R., Varghese, V., and Jana, A. (2015). Analyzing Regional Travel Patterns in India: Disaggregated Analysis of Social, Health and Pilgrimage Trips. Journal of the Eastern Asia Society for Transportation Studies. doi: 10.11175/easts.11.362.
• Bardhan, R., Sarkar, S., Jana, A., and Velaga, N. (2015). Mumbai slums since independence: Evaluating the policy outcomes. Habitat International. doi:10.1016/j.habitatint.2015.07.009.
• Jana, A., and Harata, N., 2012, The need and role of companions in outpatient health trips in India: Altruism and activity support, Indian Journal of Positive Psychology, Volume – 3 (2012), Issue – 4, pp- 345-352. (ISSN 2229-4937)
• Jana, A., Ohmori, N., Takami, K., and Harata, N., 2014, “Exploring the role of social interactions and supports in overcoming accessibility barriers while undertaking health tours in India”, Social Work in Public Health, Volume – 29, Issue – 4, pp 350-367. (Routledge) DOI:10.1080/19371918.2013.825895
• Davy, J., Gomes, J.O., Volosiuk, A., Jana, A., Ray, G., Ganguli, A. K., Zhang, W., Todd, A., (2019) The BRICS plus Network: A Historical Overview and Future Perspectives of the Network’s Role in Human Factors and Ergonomics. In: Bagnara
S., Tartaglia R., Albolino S., Alexander T., Fujita Y. (eds) Proceedings of the 20th Congress of the International Ergonomics Association (IEA 2018). IEA 2018. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, vol 821. Springer, Cham, https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-96080-7_78
• Basu, R., Khatua, A., Jana, A., & Ghosh, S. (2017). Harnessing Twitter Data for Analyzing Public Reactions to Transportation Policies: Evidences from the Odd-Even Policy in Delhi, India. Proceedings of the Eastern Asia Society for Transportation
Studies, Vol 11. http://www.easts.info/on-line/proceedings/vol.11/pdf/PP1656_H1.pdf
• Varghese V., & Jana A. (2017). Travel Time Use in Mumbai: Analyzing the Impact of ICT, 4th Conference of Transportation Research Group of India, Mumbai, India, December 16–19, 2017 (Best Paper Award)
• Varghese, V. Jana, A., “Activity Participation and Time Use Behavior in Mumbai: Impact of Information and Communication Technologies in a Disparate World.” Transportation Research Board 96th Annual Meeting, 2017, Washington DC,
• Nambram, S., Jana, A., & Narayanan. K. (2017) Analysis of energy saving and emission reduction potential through the energy efficient building design of a residential building in a warm humid climate. 6th International Conference on
• Advances in Energy Research 2017, Mumbai, India. December 12–14, 2017 (Best Poster Award)
• Alla, N.K. and Jana, A. (2017). Integrated approach for measurement of spatial accessibility of healthcare services in urban areas. The 38 Asian Conference on Remote Sensing. October 23-27, New Delhi.
• Chikaraishi, M., Jana, A., Bardhan, R., Varghese, V., and Fujiwara, A. (2016). Revisiting Travel Time in Mumbai: Value of Time Saving or Value of Access? Transportation Research Board 95th Annual Meeting Compendium of Papers, Washington, D.C, USA.
• Sangoi, S., Jain, A., Jana, A., Bardhan, R., and Velaga, N. (2016). Behavior of Housing Prices Within the “Equi-influence” Zone of Metro Corridor in Mumbai, India: Fuzzy Logic Approach. Transportation Research Board 95th Annual Meeting Compendium of Papers, Washington, D.C, USA.
• Varghese, V., Sarkar, S., Bardhan, R., Velaga, N., and Jana, A. (2015). Transport network characteristics and real-estate undercurrents: The effect of spatial non stationarity on property pricing in Mumbai. 3rd Conference of Transportation
Research Group of India (3rd CTRG), 2015, Kolkata, India.
• Kothari, A., & Jana, A., (2015). Affordable private diagnostic enterprises in India: Effect on preventive healthcare and management of non‐communicable diseases. 14th World Congress on Public Health, Kolkata, India
• Jana, A. (2015). Trip by purpose and availability of the preferred opportunity within districts of India: Analysing Indian elderly travel pattern. 14th International Conference on Mobility and Transport for Elderly and Disabled Persons, TRANSED
2015, Lisbon, Portugal.
• Jana, A., Bardhan, R., and Sarkar, S. (2015). Future Place making in Mumbai: Analyzing Mumbai Development Plan 2034. Future of Places International Conference – UN Habitat, Stockholm, Sweden.
• Chikaraishi, M., Jana, A., Bardhan, R., and Fujiwara, A. (2015). Urban-Rural Comparison of Time Use in India: Gender, Education, and Economic Affluence. Transportation Research Board 94th Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C, USA.
• Jana, A., Khanal, R., and Akinaga, N., 2013, “Designing CSR Program for corporates focusing on Environment & Sustainability”, International Symposium fostering future leaders for sustainable society, Tokyo, January 2013
• Jana, A., Ohmori, N., and Harata, N., 2012, “Choice Based on Accessibility & Social Determinants-A Case of Elderly Healthcare Decision and Health Trips in India”, 13th International Conference on ’Mobility and Transport for Elderly and Disabled Persons, TRANSED 2012, New Delhi, India, September 2012.
• Jana, A., H, Yuki., An, K., Hamasaki, H., 2012, “Capacity Development for Sustainable Water Management in Rural Area in Cambodia”, International Water Science Conference, IWSC 2012, Bangkok, Thailand, September 2012.
• Jana, A., Ohmori, N., Takami, K., and Harata, N., 2012, “Evaluation of accessibility to Primary Health Centers in rural areas of developing countries – Case study: West Bengal, India”, Proceedings of the 10th Conference of Asian City Planning, pp.79-86
• Jana, A. and Datta, R.N., 2011, “Traffic Management and Operation Improvement Plan for the Influence area of the Howrah Station, India”, 11th International Congress of the Asian Planning School Association, APSA 2011, Tokyo, September 2011
• Jana, A., Ohmori, N., and Harata, N., 2011, “Health seeking travel behavior and health care facility choice owing to different service providers”, 2nd ISAJ symposium 2011, Tokyo, October 2011
• Bardhan, R. Jana, A., 2010, “Incorporating The Concept of Zero Energy In The Newly Developed Satellite Towns of India – Case Study Rajarhat, Kolkata, India”, India-Japan Symposium On Emerging Technologies, Tokyo; Japan, 7 October, 2010
• Chattopadhyay, S. Bardhan, R. Jana, A., 2006, “Growth Dynamics Vs Sustainability – The Dichotomy of twin mining towns Joda & Barbil” XXXIV IAHS, World Congress on Housing Sustainable Housing Design Emphasizing Urban Housing, Naples, Italy,
September 20-23, 2006
• Basu, R., & Jana, A. (2018). Need for Rethinking Modern Urban Planning Strategies Through Integration of ICTs. In Encyclopaedia of Information Science and Technology, Fourth Edition (pp. 7843-7855). IGI Global.
• Jana, A., and Bardhan, R. (2016). Planning transit system for India cities: Opportunities and challenges. In Handbook of Research on Emerging Innovations in Rail Transportation Engineering. eds Rai. U. ISBN: 978-1- 5225-0084- 1.
• Jana, A., and Harata, N. (2016). A framework to analyze variation of the satisfaction of patients for outpatient needs: A case of West Bengal, India, Public Health and Welfare: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools, and Applications. pp. 227-241
• Jana, A., 2006, “Traffic Management and Operation Improvement Plan for the Influence area of the Howrah Station”, ITPI Newsletter (No. XXXIII), West Bengal Regional Chapter, Dec 2006.
• “Traditional and Emerging IPT Services in Indian Metropolises with Dissimilar Service Delivery Structures: A Comparative Analysis”. 10 th Indo-German Frontiers of Engineering Symposium 2018, (binational conferences which are co-organized by the
Indian Department of Science and Technology (DST) and the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation.), Potsdam, Germany, May 24-27, 2018 (https://www.humboldt-foundation.de/web/indogfoe-2018-sessions.html)
• “Theory of Travel demand Modeling”. Workshop on behavior modeling in transportation networks, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Tokyo, Japan, October 2017.
“Affordable housing in India: Case of Mumbai”, The future of smart cities – Smart Cities Workshop For Urban Administrators, Navi Mumbai, May 18 – 19, 2017
• “Water Urbanism Status and rejuvenation of ecological hotspots: The case of Mumbai”. Keynote speaker, International Symposium on Water Urbanism and Infrastructure Development in Eco-Sensitive Zones, Kolkata, January 6-7, 2017.
• “Urbanisation and Informatics”, Centre for Urban Policy and Governance , School of Habitat Studies, Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai, August 9, 2016
• “Housing in Mumbai: Trade-offs between accessibility, affordability and informality”, 66th Taoyaka Program Seminar, Hiroshima University, Hiroshima, Japan, April 27, 2016.
• “Theory of Behavior Model”, Behavior modelling in transportation network, Department of Civil Engineering, The University of Tokyo, Japan, September 2015
• “Housing Urban poor: Dynamics of Slum Rehabilitation in Mumbai”, 37th Taoyaka Program Seminar (the 285th IDEC Asia Seminar), Graduate School for International Development and Cooperation (IDEC), Hiroshima University, Japan, March 2015
• “Ensuring Equity in Healthcare Accessibility: Need for a Demand Driven Approach”, IEEE Region 10 Humanitarian Technology Conference 2014, Chennai, August 2014.
• “Linking unplanned urbanization, disparity and accessibility in the context of Indian mega cities”, Taoyaka Program Seminar, Hiroshima University, Hiroshima, Japan, March 2014.
– US602: Fundamentals of Urban Science & Engg.
– US603: Research Methods in Urban Science
– Japanese Government Monbukagakusho (MEXT) Scholarship-2010-2013.
– GCOE Research supporting funds for young researchers, Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT), Government of Japan
– Institute Silver Medal, IIT Kharagpur, 2007
– Visiting Faculty, Graduate School of International Development and Cooperation, Hiroshima
– University, Japan; April 2016 to June 2016
– Strategic Consulting, JLL India; 2007-2010