I work on the politics of financial systems, trying to understand how system-design choices are also political choices, and how these choices lead to macro-social outcomes such as growth or crises. I have done both theoretical and empirical work in case studies covering Indian bond markets, the US shadow-banking system, the EU, and the global reserve system.
– Sociology and political economy of finance
– Political economy of development
– Indian political economy
– Theories of money
– Classical political economy
– New and old Institutionalism
– History of economic thought
– B.A. Political Science, Amherst College, 2000
– M.A. Anthropology, Columbia University, 2001
– M.Phil. Anthropology, Columbia University, 2007
– Ph.D. Anthropology, Columbia University, 2009
The Structure of State Borrowing: Towards a Political Theory of Control Mechanisms, Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society, Volume 10, Issue 1 1 March 2017.
Money and Demonetisation: The Fetish of Fiat, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. LI, Issue No. 51, 17 December, 2016.
Europe and the logic of hierarchy, Journal of Comparative Economics, 41, 436–446, 2013.
Co-authored with Arjun Jayadev, When the Facts Change: How Can the Financial Crisis Change Minds? Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 44, Issue No. 13, 28 Mar, 2009.
Co-authored with Arjun Jayadev, The Credit Crisis: Where It Came From, What Happened, and How It Might End, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 43, Issue No. 49, 06 Dec, 2008.
Encyclopedia Plutonica, (review of Piketty’s Capital in the twenty-first centurty), Hau: Journal of Ethnographic Theory 5 (1): 509–516, 2015.
The Death of the Social, (Review of) Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity by Katherine Boo, Anthropology Now, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 108-111, April 2013.
– Assistant Professor, Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, IIT Bombay, 2016-
– Lecturer on International Politics, City University, London, 2013-2016
– Lecturer on Social Studies, Harvard University, 2011-2013
– Postdoctoral Research Scholar, Committee on Global Thought, Columbia University, 2009- 2011